I am a researcher in Computer Science with over 10 years of experience working on Big Data related areas, mainly Urban Computing, Smart Cities, Human Mobility and Big Data for Social Good. I strongly believe that Big Data is the next frontier for innovation and will change the way societies operate from an expert-base approach to a data-driven approach. Apart from research in Big Data I am also very interested in technology transfer and IPR, as the main means of producing a social impact from research results.
Currently I am a Researcher at Telefonica Investigacion y Desarrollo in Madrid, the research&development company of the Telefonica Group. Telefonica is one of the largest fixed-line and mobile telecommunications companies in the world with presence in over 20 countries and third largest in terms of number of customers.
Before joining Telefonica, I worked for the Department of Biomedical Engineering of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), for the Department of Information Systems & Computing of Brunel University in London, and for the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York University.
I have received a Ph.D. in Computer Science from the Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, Madrid, Spain, in 2000, and a Ph.D. degree in Information Systems from Brunel University, London, U.K., in 2007. I was the recipient of the Best Ph.D. Thesis Award of the School of Computer Science 2001, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid.
You can Download my CV in PDF format here.
- New Paper: “Comparing and modeling land use organization in cities”, M. Lenormand , M. Picornell, O.G. Cantu-Ros, T. Louail, R. Herranz, M. Barthelemy, E. Frias-Martinez k, M. San Miguel and J.J. Ramasco, Royal Society Open Science 2, 1504-59 (2015) [Open Access]
- New Paper: "Mobile Network Data for Public-Health: Opportunities and Challenges", N. Oliver, A. Matic, E. Frias-Martinez, Frontiers in Public Health, 07 August 2015 [Open Access]
- New Paper: "Exploring the potential of phone call data to characterize the relationship between social network and travel behavior“, M. Picornell, T. Ruiz, M. Lenormand, J.J. Ramasco, T. Dubenet, E. Frias-Martinez, Transportation Vol. 42 Issue 4 (2015) Page 647-668 [PDF][External Link]
- Our paper "Spectral Clustering for Sensing Urban Land Use using Twitter Activity" has been featured in ABC Newspaper (spanish), Muy Interesante (Printed Magazine), Muy Interesante (On-Line Magazine), CienciaXPlora, Vanguardia de Mexico, CBC News, TIME.com, The Times of India, Phys.org, Science Daily among others.
-New paper: “Uncovering the spatial structure of mobility networks", T. Louail, M. Lenormand, M. Picornell, O. Garcia Cantu, R. Herranz, E. Frias-Martinez, J. Ramasco, and M. Barthelemy, Nature Communications, Volume: 6, Article number: 6007 [Nature Link][ArXiv]
- Our work in modeling H1N1 spreading has been featured in The Economist as an example of how Big data can be used to control Ebola: "Ebola and Big data: Wainting on Hold" .
Some rights reserved.